Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Leadership, Communication, Vision

Our agenda for the first session in Pullman came this afternoon. I printed everything off and stuck it into my notebook, then hustled off to a social at Tom's house (Class XXV) before hustling off from there to a night meeting.

Now I have time to review the agenda (and see that my part comes at the end, introducing the seminar in Wenatchee). A good deal of the October sessions take place in the Center for Undergraduate Education on the WSU campus. It will be interesting to find my way around the campus, for as many times as I've been through Pullman, I've almost never been on the campus. A fair amount of the agenda is devoted to introducing concepts such as leadership, and setting the ground rules. Nota Bene: wondering where the CUE is? click here. It's just off Stadium Way.

We're staying at the Hawthorne Inn & Suites, and Rachel is my roommate. I ought to write her and apologise ahead of time for being a middle aged, overweight woman who snores. Or perhaps I should just pack earplugs for each roommate. I travel with them on the motorcycle, and sure have used them to survive noisy nights myself.

I think I am ready for this. I may not have a great deal of time to agonise over it during the next two weeks, for we're expecting our Marine son home on R&R from Iraq. He couldnt' have planned the leave better to coincide with Ag-Forestry, though he has told us little of the details of his trip.

If I'm lucky, I will be able to persuade some of my local classmates to carry a bag down and, if the weather's fair and I get a new chain and sprocket installed on my motorcycle, I can ride the 919 to Pullman. It's not a terribly exiting ride (outside of the Palouse, which is God's country on two wheels) but it's always more of an adventure to ride than drive and there's plenty of time to reflect.

No comments: