We met Pacific Lutheran University president, Dr Loren Anderson, who spoke of the University's mission of service and the global focus: there are students studying abroad on all seven continents, including Antarctica! He stated, as I have come to learn through my service in Rotary, that one of the keys to world peace is to travel abroad and break down our notions that our way—or any one culture's way—of doing things is right.
Grant gave a five (or should I say six) minute speech on the topic of conservation, and recommended the Global Footprint Network to learn more about reducing one's own consumption.
Priscilla, mother of twin girls murdered by an abusive boyfriend and Phil, a former abuser, spoke to the class. I'd heard them once before during Mark's session, but the stories lost nothing for my having heard them before. The problems of abuse of power in domestic relationships cuts across many boundaries. If you're interested in learning more about local resources, check out this link.
We met several spouses of classmates, and I am hoping that they're finding the sessions as engaging as I once did. They had to listen patiently to our class meeting, where we discussed raising funds for the class and our upcoming Washington DC trip. We discussed some possible activities and got our tickets. I leave punishingly early February 23rd from Spokane... O well! Getting up at 3 AM will probably just put me on east coast time that much faster.
Several of us had interesting misadventures trying to check in at the Red Lion, but eventually rooms which were unoccupied by strangers with actual beds instead of empty frames were found. Sometimes you've got to roll with the punches...
Ellen, Ginny, Lois and I went over to the mall and had a quiet salad at Nordstrom's cafe (after a tiny challenge getting Ellen food). Ellen introduced us to chocolate-coated ginger candies from See's and I, being a ginger fan, bought a bag for myself.
Early to bed tonight, and tomorrow we'll break out to visit various social service agencies, roll up our sleeves, and do a little community service.
No comments:
Post a Comment